10/13/2014

Don't let organizing tools become clutter!

On an episode of Hoarders, a lady's a room had stuff piled to the ceiling.  Much of her stuff was junk, however, she also had WAY too much ORGANIZING stuff. She couldn't even organize the stuff because the organizing stuff was in the way. Crazy! It's been a long time since I saw that episode, however I think of it every time I go to our basement to see my stock pile of organizing bins.

Why do I hoard storage containers?
1. They didn't work for that situation but they might for the next.
2. They are great tools to sort with
3. You never know when you will need to grab a stack of containers to empty a room.
4. If I get rid of it I will need it tomorrow.
5. I think I am an addict....

How to make the decision  ... how many is too many to keep?
This is a personal decision, and really depends on how close to the end of your organizational journey you are, I suppose.  If I was completely organized and our household was just my husband and I... we probably wouldn't need as many empty containers. Who am I kidding, I'd still try to find a way to keep them.

What I can do to encourage me to let a few go?
Our daughter is moving again, and will need containers for long term storage. Many of these can go to help her.
I want my storage room to be nice looking, so any containers that are not the same size and shape take up more space on the shelves/floor so those can go.
As I send things to good will or salvation army, donate the container with the stuff.

If they do not stack/nest they do not stay:)

TIP
How to not have too many in the first place? Follow the advice of the organizers... don't organize until you purge. After you purge, group like things together, plan the space, then purchase containers or re-purpose old ones for the space.

Here is my start:
A contained area of stacked/nested containers, and a pile to go:) Its a start... but a few more should go!







No comments: